Navigating life can be difficult, and it’s typical to experience bouts of sadness or depression occasionally. Your mental state could be impacted by external events, lack of sleep, unhealthy diet patterns, interpersonal relationships with others, or even variations in the climate. But suppose your mood starts to interfere with basic activities like eating properly and sleeping well, keeping up with school or work assignments, or cultivating close ties with family members. In that case, this could indicate something more serious is going on. Our depression treatment in Seattle could make a difference.
LightHeart Associates offers comprehensive mental health disorder treatment to help you get back to thriving. Our depression treatment center can help clients recognize the signs of depression and work towards managing it to improve their mental health condition. Contact us today at 425.800.5688 to learn more about our depression therapy and how getting help can make a difference.
Major depressive disorder (MDD), more commonly known as depression, is a severe yet prevalent mental health condition that can cause someone to feel persistently low and impair their ability to think, act or experience joy in life. Fortunately, although there is no “cure” for depression, treatment options empower individuals with this condition to regain control of their lives and find happiness again.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
Depression looks different for different people, but some common signs and symptoms can indicate you are experiencing something more than a temporary feeling of sadness. Remember that someone with depression may not experience all of these symptoms, and the symptoms they experience can vary in severity. If you are experiencing five or more of these common symptoms of depression, you might benefit from a depression treatment:
- Low or depressed mood every day for more than two weeks
- Sleep disturbances, including sleeping much more or less than usual
- Losing interest in activities that used to be enjoyable or meaningful
- Intrusive thoughts about death or suicide
- Cognitive disturbances, including difficulty thinking, focusing, or making decisions
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Changes in appetite, including eating much more or less than usual
- Fidgeting or moving more slowly than usual
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
Individuals with depression experience symptoms that hinder their regular functioning and can make it challenging to live life or pursue their passions. It is essential to remember that there are different types of depression, which may manifest differently in men and women alike.
Depression is not the only condition that can cause these symptoms. Medical conditions like certain thyroid disorders and vitamin deficiencies can also include symptoms like low mood, fatigue, and sleep disturbances. Make an appointment with your doctor to rule out possible underlying or contributing medical conditions and ensure your diagnosis is as accurate as possible.
Causes of Depression
Depression is a complex condition that can affect anyone, even if it appears that everything in their life is going well. Depression is caused by genetic, biological, environmental, and psychological factors.
Do you have a family history of depression? Like other conditions, depression can run in the family. Studies have shown that the offspring of parents with depression are more than twice as likely to experience this mental health disorder as children whose parents don’t suffer from it.
Your body’s biochemical makeup, such as neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine, can majorly impact your mood. Because every person processes these chemicals differently, variations in this process may increase the likelihood of someone developing depression.
People do not exist in a vacuum. Their life circumstances can significantly impact their mental health. People exposed to trauma like violence, abuse, neglect, and poverty may have an increased risk of depression.
Those who lack resilient strategies to manage distress, have a vague sense of self-worth or esteem, and possess a pessimistic mindset are more vulnerable to depression—a psychological disorder.
How Our Depression Treatment Can Help
Just as different factors can cause depression, it can be treated in many different ways. Because depression involves some physical and mental risk factors, and certain medical conditions can cause depression-like symptoms, the first step in finding the proper depression treatment includes having a thorough diagnostic evaluation by a physician. Once your physician understands the factors driving your depression, they can build a treatment plan tailored to your situation.
Treatment for depression may include:
- Medication – If biochemistry is a factor in your depression, a doctor may prescribe antidepressants to help rebalance the chemicals in your brain.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) therapy – TMS is a depression treatment approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that uses painless magnetic pulses to stimulate areas of the brain that are less active in people with depression. It is a noninvasive, non-drug alternative that can be effective even for people with treatment-resistant depression.
- Therapy – Individual or group therapy can help address psychological causes of depression and resolve trauma that may be causing symptoms.
- Lifestyle changes – Improving physical health can positively impact mental health, so a doctor might suggest making lifestyle changes such as taking vitamins or increasing exercise.
- Ketamine therapy – Safely used as an anesthetic in hospitals for decades, recent research suggests that ketamine therapy shows promise in individuals with severe depression that haven’t responded to other medications or therapy.
Our depression treatment center could change your life. Call LightHeart Associates today to learn more.
Benefits of Our Depression Therapy
Participating in our depression therapy can help you to:
- Regain control of your moods, thoughts, and emotions
- Improve relationships with family and friends
- Enjoy activities and experiences that depression may have made difficult in the past
- Increase self-esteem and confidence
- Learn how to manage depression triggers
- Take an active role in your depression treatment plan
- Develop healthy coping strategies for depression symptoms
We understand depression and how it affects individuals and families. Our team is committed to providing effective mental health services with compassion, understanding, and respect.
Find Depression Treatment in Seattle at LightHeart Associates
Our mission is to provide life-altering mental health care in our communities, and we strive to meet the requirements of all ages—from children and teens to adults. At our depression treatment center, clients gain access to vital resources to help them sustain a positive state of psychological well-being. We are dedicated to helping individuals restore control over their lives. If you believe you are experiencing depression, contact LightHeart Associates today at 425.800.5688 or reach out online to learn what our depression therapy can do for you.